Its Red Nose Day on Friday and although its Comic Relief and 'Do something funny for money'. Baking is always a huge part of the campaign, especially the past few years with The Great British Bake Off getting involved too, its not exactly comical but you can make your cakes look funny? Or if it all goes wrong at least you can have a laugh over the baking disaster!
If you don't know what Red Nose Day is, Its a day set up by the British charity Comic Relief, it is to raise money to help peoples lives not only in the UK but also in Africa.
I picked up the Cupcake Decoration Kit, Great British Bake Off Recipe Book and the limited edition Tea Towel designed by Mr Henry Holland for House of Holland himself! (Can you tell this one is my favourite!) Of course you cant forget to pick up your Red Nose too! Which are a little different this year, as they're in a surprise pack so you don't know which one you're going to get!
85g Softened Unsalted Butter
75g Light Brown Muscovado Sugar
75g Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
75g Plain Wholemeal Flour
5 tbsp Milk
1 Lemon, Zest Finely Grated
1 Large Egg, Lightly Beaten
3-4 Ripe but Firm Plums
3 tbsp Demerara Sugar (To Sprinkle)
1. Line your muffin tin, I found that the recipe makes 18 Cupcakes. Then Preheat your oven to 180c / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
2. Cut your plums in half and remove the stones. Then you can either cut the plums into 6 wedges for each half, or dice them.
3. Add the Butter, Lemon Zest and Muscavado Sugar to a bowl and then beat well by hand, or you can use a food mixer too. It should be mixed until it looks light and fluffy. Then scrape down the sides using a spatula, add the beaten egg, in three parts, beating well each time.
4. Sift your Flour and Baking Powder into the mixture, then pour in the milk, folding everything in as you go. Preferably use a spatula to do this. If you've diced your Plums, you can add around 3/4ths of them now and mix in.
5. Fill the cases around half way, making them equal, with the batter and bake them for 20 to 25 minutes. If you haven't diced your Plums, apply your wedges on top, putting them skin side up. You can also use your diced Plums left over, to sprinkle on the top too. As well as sprinkling on the Demerara Sugar. Bake them for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Let me know if you bake these and how you like them! Or if you're doing anything for Red Nose Day too! I would definitely never of thought of adding plums to muffins before, Thank You Mary Berry!